09A38FDE-2881-4A18-A78C-D2F3A076C073.jpeg
LaPieta1.png

Una experiencia conmovedora...

A moving experience...

1991

The beautiful Pieta shrine was created in March, 1991.  The room where it now sits was originally the Baptistry.  The font was removed and now stands in the sanctuary to the right of the side altar.  Its dome and pedestal design, hewn from Italian marble, reflects the structure of the pulpit and gives the impression it was always meant to be there.

LaPieta2.png

The Pieta was in the church basement since December 1935.  It is solid marble, weighing close to 3,000 pounds.  The figures are half-scale to life size and rest upon an eight-sided, hollow plaster base.  Inside the base is a newspaper dated Friday, December 12, 1935, a copy of Incarnation's 1989 pictorial directory and a letter about how the move was accomplished.  The missing toe and chipped corner of the statue happened years prior to the 1991 move; the gentlemen from Advance Companies made this move without incident.  It took 167 hours to dismantle, move and reassemble the font and the Pieta.  A wagon was built to hold the statue as it travelled up the ramp built in the south stairwell, out the door, around the front, up a slight ramp and through the north door of the front entrance.  Upon arriving at the room's front doorway, it would be another three hours negotiating the Pieta onto the waiting base.  Two seven foot winches, scaffolding and timbers held the weight as stacks of shims and a series of doll pins were utilized by the team of eight workers.  They patiently and gingerly coaxed the marble piece, inch by inch, onto its resting place in the beautiful shrine at the north church entrance.

El hermoso santuario de la Piedad fue creado en marzo de 1991. La sala donde ahora se encuentra fue originalmente el baptisterio. La fuente fue removida y ahora se encuentra en el presbiterio a la derecha del altar lateral. Su diseño de cúpula y pedestal, tallado en mármol italiano, refleja la estructura del púlpito y da la impresión de que siempre estuvo destinado a estar allí.

La Piedad estuvo en el sótano de la iglesia desde diciembre de 1935. Es de mármol macizo y pesa cerca de 3000 libras. Las figuras están a media escala del tamaño natural y descansan sobre una base de yeso hueca de ocho lados. Dentro de la base hay un periódico fechado el viernes 12 de diciembre de 1935, una copia del directorio pictórico de 1989 de Encarnación y una carta sobre cómo se realizó la mudanza. El dedo del pie que falta y la esquina astillada de la estatua ocurrieron años antes de la mudanza de 1991; los caballeros de Advance Companies hicieron este movimiento sin incidentes. Se necesitaron 167 horas para desmontar, mover y volver a montar la fuente y la Piedad. Se construyó un carro para sostener la estatua mientras subía por la rampa construida en la escalera sur, salía por la puerta, rodeaba el frente, subía por una rampa pequeña y atravesaba la puerta norte de la entrada principal. Al llegar a la puerta principal de la sala, pasarían otras tres horas negociando con la Piedad en la base de espera. Dos cabrestantes de siete pies, andamios y vigas sostuvieron el peso mientras el equipo de ocho trabajadores utilizaba montones de cuñas y una serie de pasadores de muñeca. Con paciencia y cautela, colocaron la pieza de mármol, centímetro a centímetro, en su lugar de descanso en el hermoso santuario en la entrada norte de la iglesia.

LaPieta3.png
09A38FDE-2881-4A18-A78C-D2F3A076C073.jpeg