wcmsp-209878.jpg
 

History of the Church of the Incarnation

Historia de la Iglesia de la Encarnación

 

The Beginning of a Community

by Matthew J. Rieger (written 2009)

 


It was in the year 1907 that several members of St. Stephens Church on 22nd and Clinton approached Archbishop John Ireland, head of the Archdiocese of St. Paul, regarding the establishment of a new church south of Lake Street. The area was then considered the southern outskirts of Minneapolis. The Archbishop was reluctant to do so, however, because he felt the area, which was primarily open prairie with a scattering of homes, had too few Catholic families. Finally, after many meetings and several conferences with his Minneapolis priests, Archbishop Ireland appointed Father James M. Cleary as the founder and pastor of the new parish. This was in the summer of 1909.


Father Cleary was born in Dudham, Massachusetts on September 8, 1849, the son of Thomas and Julia Cleary who had come to this country from County Galway, Ireland. There were five other boys besides James in the family, and his father, a farmer, found it difficult to make a living from the stony soil. The family moved to Walworth County, Wisconsin where the future priest spent the greater part of his childhood attending public schools and caring for daily tasks around the farm. At the age of 15 years, young James was sent to St. Lawrence College near Fond du Lac and then to St. Francis College at Milwaukee. He finished his seminary course in 1871. Priesthood was conferred on the young man when he was but 22 years old. The ordination took place in the chapel of St. Francis Seminary on July 9, 1872. He celebrated his first mass the following Sunday in St. Peter's Church, East Troy, Wisconsin.

 

 

 

The young priest's first charge took in the missions along the Milwaukee railroad on the Prairie du Chen division. It was here that Father Cleary's strong leadership in temperance matters first asserted itself. Finding the abuse of liquor prevalent in that region, Father Cleary joined forces with the local inhabitants and opened unrelenting warfare on the liquor traffic. The result was that the locality was changed from a wide open town to a dry community. In 1873 Father Cleary took charge of the congregation at Sinsinawa Mound, and then in 1880 was appointed pastor of St. Mark's Church at Kenosha. For 12 years he served this parish and under his direction the beautiful church of St. James was erected, a school built and a convent and rectory established.
These early years would be important to Father Cleary in later years when he was called upon to start Incarnation, for not only was this a blueprint of what he would achieve, but it was during this period that he came in close contact with the Dominican Sisters.


In 1892 Father Cleary was invited by Archbishop John Ireland to come to the diocese of St. Paul. Resigning his Kenosha pastorate, he came to Minneapolis and during the fall and winter conducted meetings in public halls in the south part of the city on the doctrines of the Catholic faith. He soon became known as "The Public Hall Apostolate" and became exceedingly popular in Minneapolis. Father Cleary realized a need for a church to serve the people in the area south of the business district, and he organized and built the old St. Charles Church at 4th Street and 13th Avenue. The church was erected in 1894 and for 17 years Father Cleary was its pastor. His foresight told him that another new church would be needed in south Minneapolis, and in 1909 after St. Charles Church burned and upon appointment by Archbishop Ireland, Father Cleary commenced the labors that brought into being The Church of the Incarnation.

 

Early problems were abundant for Father Cleary. These included organization of the community, purchase of a land site for the new church and school, and the locating of a temporary facility which could serve as church in the interim. Organizing the church was undoubtedly the easiest of the three major problems for not only were the people in the area eager to have a church, but also many members of the St. Charles Church were eager to join Father Cleary's new church. To insure the possibility of taking out mortgages, a corporation was formed with Archbishop Ireland as president, Father James Cleary as vice president, Mr. Peter Carter as secretary, and Thomas E. Sands as treasurer. The Scribner- Kelly Land Company of Minneapolis donated a section of land on the corner of 38th and Pleasant Avenue for the erection of the church. To make the deed transaction legal, Father Cleary purchased the land for one dollar and signed the deed on September 17, 1909. 

 

The site for Incarnation at that time was a cornfield and the area around the church was so sparsely populated that the new church received the nickname "Cathedral of the Cornfields". Father Cleary was able to obtain the use of the Ark Lodge, a public hall, and the first mass celebration was on October 3, 1909. About 200 families attended the services. For 18 months the Ark Lodge was the home for the Incarnation Community until the new facility could be built. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was agreed to by Father Cleary and the parishioners that the new facility would serve a dual purpose. In most of Father Cleary's previous parishes a catholic school had always been a high priority. He believed that religion and education went hand in hand and that both made up the strength and growth of any community. Money was definitely needed for the construction of the composite church and school building. One of the first fundraisers held was a bazaar in an abandoned skating rink on the corner of Lake Street and First Avenue South. The net results were $6,101.00, then considered a large sum. Father Cleary also requested the assistance of the men of the parish in a pledge drive to help raise funds for the construction of, the new facility. During the winter of 1910 ground was broken for the first building; the cornerstone was laid by Archbishop Ireland on September 4, 1911.


The building was a substantial two story brick structure and was called the "Institute of the Incarnation" (Cleary Hall). On the first floor was an auditorium and temporary church with a seating capacity of 800. On the second floor were 6 classrooms. Father Cleary called on his old friends, the Sinsinawa Dominicans from the congregation of the Most Holy Rosary to open the school which had 160 pupils. This was on the 4th of September 1911. Sister Mary Raymunda, Superior, Sister Mary Antonia, Sister Mary Clarice and Sister Mary Columkille opened the school and started a relationship with the people of Incarnation which would last many years. At first only pupils in the first six grades were admitted so the first group to graduate was the class of 1914, which had 19 students. To accommodate the new sisters a wooden frame house was converted into a convent. This is the present site of Moynihan Hall.

 

 

Father Cleary and his two assistants, Reverend George Carroll and Reverend Waiter Daly were also in need of a residence.  Construction for the new rectory began in March of 1912 and was completed in October of that same year, at a cost of $20,814.00. The parish rectory was constructed as a three story building containing 16 large rooms and a large basement. 

 

 

 

The small parish began to grow immediately and with its famous founder, Father Cleary, at the head, it was not unusual to see real estate ads which read, "Lots for sale in Fr. Cleary's parish". One of the first major celebrations in the parish was Father Cleary's forty-first anniversary in the priesthood, on March 25, 1913. The mayor of Minneapolis presided and among the speakers were: the governor of Minnesota, president of the University of Minnesota, and Father Cleary's close friend, Archbishop John Ireland.


In May of 1916 a meeting took place between Father Cleary and many of the parishioners to begin the planning of a single church structure. A committee was established consisting of: T.E. Sands, Peter Carter, J.W. Moynihan, J.D. Coleman, J.C. Whelan, J.J. Quinn, Henry Reilly, and J.C. Donahue. The committee set a goal of raising funds of $100,000.00 to construct the new facility.


Construction began with the groundbreaking ceremony as Father Cleary turned the first spade full of dirt and declared the site to be the first Catholic church in South Minneapolis. The date was October 10, 1916.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on August 5, 1917,with Archbishop Ireland presiding. Inscribed on the stone was the text taken from the Gospel of St. John: "The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us': In the copper box placed in the cornerstone was a sheet of vellum upon which was written the date of the ceremony and stating that it took place when "Woodrow Wilson was president, when J.A.A. Burnquist was governor of Minnesota, when John Ireland was Archbishop of St. Paul, and when Father James Cleary was pastor of the church." Copies of the daily newspapers and three local Catholic weeklies were also included.  M.J. Murphy was head of the drive for funds which was carried on in 1918. The mens' club raised at the initial meeting about 1/4 of the $50,000 sought in that section of the campaign to pay debts on the new church. The opening was postponed until the second week of October due to the death of Archbishop Ireland. The civic opening was actually held on a Tuesday evening, the 8th of October. The principal address was given by Reverend J.M. Reardon. His subject was Religion and Patriotism': The civic opening followed the first mass in the new church by 2 days, that having been celebrated the previous Sunday. Solemn blessing of the edifice was deferred until after installation of the pipe organ. On October 3, 1920, the church was dedicated at services conducted by Father Cleary, founder and pastor, Archbishop Austin Dowling (who succeeded Archbishop Ireland), Monsignor George Herr of Dubuque, Iowa, and several Twin Cities priests.


In July of 1922 Father Cleary celebrated his golden jubilee, and on May 4, 1924 was elevated to the rank of Monsignor at special services conducted at the church. Archbishop Dowling officiated at the ceremony of investiture.  This was the crowning achievement for a man who had devoted his life to God and to help work for the good and welfare of God's people.


Beginning in the year 1909 and extending into 1922 a great influx of people into the parish took place. In just 17 years the number of families grew from 200 to 1500. Many factors contributed to this substantial expansion. The parish was situated in a very desirable location with its proximity to the lakes and its access to major streets on the south side. Father Cleary's popularity and reputation certainly played a very important role, as did that of Archbishop Ireland. Ireland, who many people during this period believed was the most important religious figure in the United States, and Monsignor Cleary were very close. The friendship between these two very dedicated Irishmen may have been one of the contributing factors for the physical size of Incarnation and that Masqueray was the architect. Most assuredly Archbishop Ireland's role in the population growth of Incarnation cannot be understated. He recommended many a Catholic couple to move into Monsignor Cleary's parish on the south side of Minneapolis.


In 1922 the facilities at Incarnation still could not keep up with the increasing number of young families moving into the parish. A division of the parish was attempted to relieve some of the demand that this growth had brought on. A daughter parish was established in 1922 -- the Church of the Annunciation located on 54th and Lyndale. But still there was no appreciable improvement of the problem. In fact, despite the decreased size of the parish, the enrollment of the school still climbed.


With the enrollment of the school going up, the number of sisters coming to teach was also on the rise. The parish purchased a vacant lot from the city on the southwest corner of 37th Street and Pleasant Avenue to construct a new convent. After eight months, in December of 1923, it was completed at a cost of $84,412.00. It could accommodate 30 sisters and afforded a chapel, kitchen, dining room, community room with sun porch, four small parlors and two music rooms as well as a spacious lawn area. A bazaar was held the following November and the proceeds were used to defray part of the expense of furnishing the convent.

 

The following year the school was still congested so a new room was opened in the old convent.  An addition to Cleary Hall was completed in October of 1929, increasing the number of classrooms to 16. June 28, 1928, was a very happy day for all when Father Kenneth Kelly of the Order of Preachers (and a graduate of Incarnation school) celebrated his first mass at Incarnation Church.  On May 25, 1933, the beloved pastor and founder of Incarnation, Monsignor James M. Cleary, died at the age of 83.  Hospitalized with a hip fracture since March 30 of that year, it was still believed that he would be able to celebrate the 61st anniversary of his priesthood which would have been on July 9th. His death and funeral made front page headlines in the Minneapolis paper. Monsignor Humphrey Moynihan stated in his funeral sermon for Monsignor Cleary that "his glory was his simplicity of heart and his conviction of conscience".


Monsignor Humphrey Moynihan was appointed pastor of Incarnation on July 1, 1933. He was born on October 22, 1864 in Limerick, Ireland and established a brilliant record in the schools he attended. His marked scholastic abilities caused his superiors to recommend him to Archbishop Ireland as a promising candidate for the faculty of the new St. Paul Seminary. Accordingly, he was sent to Rome for further study where he acquitted himself with distinction. In 1892 he was appointed to the faculty of the St. Paul Seminary, carrying out his duties as a prefect of studies so ably that he was given the presidency of St. Thomas College in April, 1903. In that capacity he increased the enrollment of the school from some 253 students to the record figure of 1059 students making it one of the ranking military schools of the country.


In 1921 he became rector of the St. Paul Seminary and while holding this office was raised to the dignity of Monsignor in February, 1924. And then on July 1, 1933, at the age 60, Monsignor Humphrey Moynihan became the pastor of one of the largest parishes in the St. Paul diocese, Incarnation.


In 1934, Incarnation celebrated its Silver Jubilee.Archbishop John Gregory Murray delivered the sermon for the high mass, Monsignor Moynihan was the celebrant and he was assisted by the Reverend John Ryan, Reverend John Phelan, Reverend Paul Colbert and Reverend Harold Duan. The secretary of the parish at that time was Peter Carter, who had held that post since the founding of the church.  Also in 1934, even with the pressure of the depression, construction of a new school was begun. It was located on the site of the old convent and would tie all four corners of 38th and Pleasant together as the parish of Incarnation. The new school was completed in February of 1935 at a cost of $135,000.00 and was named Moynihan Hall. It was considered by many to be the newest and finest educational facility of the time in the city of Minneapolis. The new school consisted of 8 classrooms, a gymnasium, and a new auditorium. Monsignor Moynihan also furnished the parish with a library containing 5,000 volumes. A kindergarten as well was located in a house near the new Moynihan Hall. Over a span of 26 years, the - school had expanded from 6 to 24 classrooms with an enrollment of 937 pupils.


In the fall of 1942 the school lunch program was aided by the Federal Lunch Program. Under the Works Progress Administration a seven cent lunch was provided and served by government employees. This signified the beginning of direct government aid to the school lunch program. In 1943 sirens screamed and many came running from all corners -- Moynihan Hall was on fire! There was much smoke, but very little damage, however. Defective wiring in the ceiling proved to be the cause.


On December 24, 1943, Monsignor Humphrey Moynihan, pastor of Incarnation for 10 years, passed away at the age of 79. He had influenced the parish in a two-fold manner: by example of his own life and by the ministrations of his assistants who had been trained under his regime in the seminary. The dignity, holiness, kindliness, and love of God which so marked his own life inevitably communicated themselves to those under his charge and welded the
people of his parish into a congregation outstanding for its support of many worthy causes. Father James Moynihan was appointed to succeed his brother and took up his new duties on December 29, 1943.


Father James Moynihan was born in Abbeyville, Limerick, Ireland in 1882. He received his early education at Rockwell College, Tipperary, and at St. Munchins College, Limerick. Coming to the United States at the age of 16, he continued his education at the St. Paul Seminary, studying philosophy. He was then sent to the American College in Rome. Upon the completion of the theology course he was ordained in Rome in 1907. He returned to St. Paul and was assigned to the faculty of St. Thomas College. In 1933 he became president of the Institution where he served until his appointment to Incarnation.


In 1948 the parish boundaries were changed. Two new parishes bordered Incarnation: Visitation on the southwest and St. Joan of Arc on the southeast. This new division was to help alleviate the enrollment problem again, but the school still housed 984 in the fall of 1948. On June 19, 1951 Father James Moynihan was elevated to the rank of Monsignor. Archbishop Murray officiated and a reception was held in the school auditorium. Enrollment for that year
was up to 1005.

 

On February 12, 1959, Monsignor James Moynihan who had suffered from a heart ailment died at the age of 76. Archbishop William O. Brady celebrated the requiem mass. One of Monsignor Moynihan's crowning achievements at Incarnation was the finishing of a biography of Archbishop John Ireland which was started by Humphrey Moynihan many years earlier. On March 2, 1949 Father Donald Gormley assumed duties at Incarnation. Monsignor Gormley was born in Minneapolis on August 15,1895 and studied at St. Thomas College and the St. Paul Seminary. He was ordained in 1924 by Archbishop Dowling. He spend almost 35 years at St. Thomas Academy and College. He was principal at the academy for a time and was registrar of the college when he was appointed to Incarnation.


1959 was an important year in the history of Incarnation. Not only was there a new pastor, but also it was the golden jubilee year. The highlight of the jubilee year was the consecration of the Church of the Incarnation on October 19, 1959. The 4 hour ceremony was performed by Archbishop William O. Brady.


A Catholic church is deemed appropriate for consecration when it is essentially complete and free of debt; is built of substantial and monumental materials and when it is certain that the building will never be put to secular use. In 1959 the only other Catholic church in Minneapolis to have been consecrated was the Basilica of St. Mary. Sealed in the altar of Incarnation church during the ceremony were the relics of 2 martyrs: St. Clement who was pope from 88 to 97 and St. Adrian who was martyred about 303.


The present day organ was also installed in 1959. The organ was built by the Wicks Organ Co. of Highland, Illinois, designed by Father Kuncl of St. Paul, and installed by Alfred Bender, a local Wicks representative. The organ is installed behind the facade of the original organ, which was rebuilt and installed in another church in the area. The design of the organ is "middle of the road" between Classic and Romantic styles, very typical of organs installed in Catholic churches at the time, when there was comparatively little congregational singing. The organ has 4 divisions: great, swell, choir and pedal. There are 29 ranks, or sets of pipes, controlled by a three-manual and pedal drawknob console. Action is direct- electric, a system pioneered by the Wicks Co.

 

Father Donald Gormley was elevated to Monsignor on February 16, 1960. His concern, like that of his predecessors was the imbalance between the growing student population and the dwindling available space in the school buildings. Through studies of the current school facilities and projections of what the future enrollment could be, it was decided with much debate that an additional school facility was needed. The new addition was to be situated adjacent to Moynihan Hall and even though of contemporary design it was to be complementary to the older building. It was also decided that the building would be supported by stilt-like columns, thus providing an all year playground and parking lot as well as a covered area for parish activities such as Oktoberfest.  Construction began late in 1961 and extended into the winter of 1963. The new facility provided 9 additional classrooms. Each room had tiled walls, an equipment closet, blackboards in front and on the sides. There was a sink and drinking fountain at the rear of each room. Also the building housed a modern science lab, an equipped library and general offices. It was proposed during the planning sessions that if the student population should decrease in the future, Moynihan Hall, including the addition, could easily be converted into a high school accommodating 500 students. To finance the new addition an appeal was initiated, a minimum weekly collection of $6,151.00 was established and the goal of $300,000.00 was met in one year.


The 1960's were a boom period for the school at Incarnation. Enrollment during this period would be consistently over the 1,000 mark. 1961 marked the Golden Jubilee for the Dominican Sisters. From the original four sisters in 1911 the convent had grown to now house 23.  Monsignor Gormley retired from Incarnation in the year 1970. The new leadership of the parish would have to adjust now to a downturn in the membership and steady decreases in enrollment of the school. Several factors contributing to this were the growth of the suburbs which were drawing many young families out of what now was considered an inner-city parish, the average size of families being cut almost in half, and new grade schools which were opening in surrounding parishes. But the people of Incarnation were undaunted. Like the past leaders of their parish, they too, believed that a Catholic school education was invaluable.  


Father Frederich Mertz took over the administration of the parish between 1970 and 1975 and Father Stephen Adrian started in 1975. Father Adrian had been one of the first Roman Catholic priests to run for state political office in the history of Minnesota. His stand against legalized abortion epitomized in many ways the feelings of the people of Incarnation community and their willingness to take a stand against issues that they felt were socially and morally
unjust.


In 1978 Father Robert Monaghan became pastor of Incarnation. Father Monaghan was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska and was previously pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in St. Paul. Father Monaghan brought to Incarnation not only much needed spiritual leadership as did his predecessors, but also a strong background in administration. This would prove to be invaluable in the difficult economic times that earmarked the late 70's and early 80's.

 

 

Many People Make A Community

 

The history of Incarnation has been blessed with tremendous leadership from Father Cleary to our present pastor, Father Monaghan. But it has been the individual people and the organizations which have served Incarnation that have and will continue to make it a vibrant parish. In October of 1909 a group of women met in the Masonic Hall on First Avenue to form a club. The purpose of the club was to aid Father Cleary and the name of the group was the Willing Workers. The first president was Mrs. J. M. McLaughlin. When the Willing Workers first organized, the Incarnation Institute was being built and
soon after work was begun on the church and rectory. To help defray the debt, many of the club's first activities were fundraisers.  They published "The Tried and True Cookbook" which was a large financial success. Once a year the men and women staged a bazaar. The revenue from all of these enterprises was applied to the debt and also to the needs of the school. After 10 successful years the organization disbanded. Sometime later, Mrs. B. W. Japs suggested that a new club be formed and theIncarnation Mother's Club was organized. Their principal aim was to meet the growing needs of the school. Helping to equip the school rooms and supplying the kitchen were several of the initial projects. In 1929, the name of the club was changed to the Incarnation Women's Club, so as to include more women of the parish. The two main objectives were to promote the welfare of the school and in every respect possible to cooperate with the pastor and sisters in developing the best interests of the children of the parish. And secondly, to strengthen the bonds of friendship and Christianity among the members of the organization, particularly those who have no obligations of interest in the school. The teachers, pupils, and people of Incarnation owe a debt of gratitude to the Incarnation Women's Club for the many years of service, giving, and love that they have provided to the Incarnation Community.


On October 10, 1909 Father Cleary held a meeting of the men in the parish to discuss the future expansion of the Incarnation community. This was the first meeting of the Incarnation Men's Club. On October 17, 1909 D. W. Woolsey was elected as president of the club. Father Cleary developed a strong association with the Men's Club and encouraged its growth in the community. Over the years he was its best recruiter as he impressed upon all the young men moving into the parish the importance of it. Father Cleary turned to the Men's Club for much of the fundraising for the construction of the early buildings. Several of their fundraising efforts took the form of pledge drives, stag parties, card parties, and the annual bazaar which they coordinated with the Women's Club. The men took a lot of pride in the fact that the early buildings that were constructed were primarily debt free within a very short period from the time of their completion. Over the years they have continued to play an important role in the maintenance of the buildings. Much of their fundraisings have gone for the school and presently they are active in the administration of the athletics of the children at Incarnation.

 

Often times in a family in the parish, the man of the house was active in the Men's Club while the woman of the house was active in the Women's Club. These two organizations should be commended for their longevity of service to all of us at Incarnation. Many other community organizations played important roles in the growth and development of Incarnation parish. They were: The Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary begun in 1910, The Altar Society also begun in 1919, Boy and Girl Scout troops begun in 1926, Holy Name Society begun in 1920, Fratamor, Legion of Mary, United Singles, Cana Couples, Widows and Widowers, Study Club, and The Mother Singers. In 1964, the first Oktoberfest was held; previously the major social event fundraiser was the St. Nicholas party. The Oktoberfest has played an important part in all the lives of the people of the Incarnation whether as organizers of the weekend event or just as participants enjoying the festivities. The Oktoberfest is an opportunity to renew old acquaintances, have a good time, and raise much needed funds for our parish.

 

An organized structure for Incarnation's network of committees and clubs has evolved in the last twenty years. With the pastor at the head and the Parish Council directly beneath the pastor, the following committees are directly responsible to the Parish Council: Finance/Budget, Liturgy, Social Concerns, Maintenance, Religious Ed/Adult Enrichment, Long Range Planning, and Shared Ministry. Those organizations which are directly responsible to the pastor are: Men's Club, Women's Club, School Board, Home and School Association and Oktoberfest Committee. 

 

Many things have changed in the Incarnation Community over the years. Cleary Hall is now being leased to a Montessori school and the convent is being leased as the Incarnation House. But changes have been a part of the community for many years. Change is good; it allows growth and development in the community. Incarnation Parish is a people brought together by a common faith. Through the working of the spirit in our midst, we strive to make the
response to this faith increasingly true and obvious. 

 

The Church of the Incarnation is no longer a "Cathedral of the Cornfields". Yet it still rises above the changing city, standing as a reminder of humankind's reconciliation and redemption. At the moment of the Incarnation, the Lord began his journey to his death and resurrection, opening wide the gates of heaven and welcoming all people unto himself. The Church of the Incarnation has a heritage and a tradition of hospitality. During this Diamond Jubilee
year, as in every year, all peoples are welcome.


Respectfully submitted to the people of the Incarnation Community,
Matthew J. Rieger

ArkLodge.jpg
Instituteof.jpg
Rectory.jpg
cleary.jpg

El comienzo de una comunidad

por Matthew J. Rieger (escrito en 2009)

 

 

Fue en el año 1907 que varios miembros de la iglesia St. Stephens el 22 y Clinton se acercaron al arzobispo John Ireland, jefe de la Arquidiócesis de St. Paul, con respecto al establecimiento de una nueva iglesia al sur de Lake Street. El área se consideró entonces las afueras del sur de Minneapolis. El arzobispo se mostró reacio a hacerlo, sin embargo, porque sintió que el área, que era principalmente una pradera abierta con una dispersión de hogares, tenía muy pocas familias católicas. Finalmente, después de muchas reuniones y conferencias con sus sacerdotes de Minneapolis, el Arzobispo de Irlanda nombró al Padre James M. Cleary como fundador y párroco de la nueva parroquia. Esto fue en el verano de 1909.

El padre Cleary nació en Dudham, Massachusetts el 8 de septiembre de 1849, hijo de Thomas y Julia Cleary, que habían llegado a este país desde el condado de Galway, Irlanda. Había otros cinco niños además de James en la familia, y su padre, un granjero, tenía dificultades para ganarse la vida con el suelo pedregoso. La familia se mudó al condado de Walworth, Wisconsin, donde el futuro sacerdote pasó la mayor parte de su infancia asistiendo a escuelas públicas y ocupándose de las tareas diarias de la granja. A la edad de 15 años, el joven James fue enviado al St. Lawrence College cerca de Fond du Lac y luego al St. Francis College en Milwaukee. Terminó su curso de seminario en 1871. El sacerdocio le fue conferido al joven cuando solo tenía 22 años. La ordenación tuvo lugar en la capilla del Seminario St. Francis el 9 de julio de 1872. Celebró su primera misa el domingo siguiente en la Iglesia de St. Peter, East Troy, Wisconsin.

 

El primer cargo del joven sacerdote se hizo cargo de las misiones a lo largo del ferrocarril de Milwaukee en la división Prairie du Chen. Fue aquí donde el fuerte liderazgo del padre Cleary en asuntos de templanza se afirmó por primera vez. Descubriendo que el abuso de licor prevalecía en esa región, el padre Cleary unió fuerzas con los habitantes locales y abrió una guerra implacable contra el tráfico de licor. El resultado fue que la localidad pasó de ser una ciudad abierta a una comunidad seca. En 1873, el padre Cleary se hizo cargo de la congregación en Sinsinawa Mound, y luego, en 1880, fue nombrado pastor de la iglesia de San Marcos en Kenosha. Durante 12 años sirvió en esta parroquia y bajo su dirección se erigió la hermosa iglesia de St. James, se construyó una escuela y se estableció un convento y una rectoría. Estos primeros años serían importantes para el Padre Cleary en los años posteriores cuando fue llamado a comenzar Encarnación, porque no solo era un plan de lo que lograría, sino que fue durante este período que entró en estrecho contacto con las Hermanas Dominicas. 

En 1892, el arzobispo John Ireland invitó al padre Cleary a venir a la diócesis de St. Paul. Renunció a su pastorado de Kenosha, vino a Minneapolis y durante el otoño y el invierno llevó a cabo reuniones en salones públicos en la parte sur de la ciudad sobre las doctrinas de la fe católica. Pronto se hizo conocido como "El Apostolado del Salón Público" y se hizo muy popular en Minneapolis. El Padre Cleary se dio cuenta de la necesidad de una iglesia para servir a la gente en el área al sur del distrito comercial, y organizó y construyó la antigua Iglesia de San Carlos en la Calle 4 y la Avenida 13. La iglesia fue erigida en 1894 y durante 17 años el Padre Cleary fue su pastor. Su previsión le dijo que se necesitaría otra nueva iglesia en el sur de Minneapolis, y en 1909 después de que se incendiara la Iglesia de San Carlos y tras la designación del Arzobispo de Irlanda, el Padre Cleary comenzó las labores que dieron origen a La Iglesia de la Encarnación.

Los primeros problemas fueron abundantes para el padre Cleary. Estos incluyeron la organización de la comunidad, la compra de un terreno para la nueva iglesia y escuela, y la ubicación de una instalación temporal que podría servir como iglesia en el ínterin. La organización de la iglesia fue sin duda el más fácil de los tres problemas principales, ya que no solo la gente del área estaba ansiosa por tener una iglesia, sino que también muchos miembros de la Iglesia de St. Charles estaban ansiosos por unirse a la nueva iglesia del Padre Cleary. Para asegurar la posibilidad de obtener hipotecas, se formó una corporación con el Arzobispo Ireland como presidente, el Padre James Cleary como vicepresidente, el Sr. Peter Carter como secretario y Thomas E. Sands como tesorero. La Scribner-Kelly Land Company de Minneapolis donó una sección de terreno en la esquina de 38th y Pleasant Avenue para la construcción de la iglesia. Para legalizar la transacción de la escritura, el padre Cleary compró el terreno por un dólar y firmó la escritura el 17 de septiembre de 1909.

 

El sitio de la Encarnación en ese momento era un campo de maíz y el área alrededor de la iglesia estaba tan escasamente poblada que la nueva iglesia recibió el sobrenombre de "Catedral de los Campos de Maíz". El Padre Cleary pudo obtener el uso del Ark Lodge, un salón público, y la primera celebración misa fue el 3 de octubre de 1909. Cerca de 200 familias asistieron a los servicios. Durante 18 meses, Ark Lodge fue el hogar de la Comunidad de la Encarnación hasta que se pudo construir la nueva instalación.

El Padre Cleary y los feligreses acordaron que la nueva instalación tendría un doble propósito. En la mayoría de las parroquias anteriores del Padre Cleary, una escuela católica siempre había sido una alta prioridad. Creía que la religión y la educación iban de la mano y que ambas constituían la fuerza y ​​el crecimiento de cualquier comunidad. Definitivamente se necesitaba dinero para la construcción del edificio compuesto de la iglesia y la escuela. Uno de los primeros eventos para recaudar fondos fue un bazar en una pista de patinaje abandonada en la esquina de Lake Street y First Avenue South. Los resultados netos fueron $ 6,101.00, luego considerados una gran suma. El padre Cleary también solicitó la ayuda de los hombres de la parroquia en una campaña de donaciones para ayudar a recaudar fondos para la construcción de la nueva instalación. Durante el invierno de 1910 se rompió el terreno para el primer edificio; la piedra angular fue colocada por el arzobispo de Irlanda el 4 de septiembre de 1911.

 

El edificio era una estructura sustancial de ladrillos de dos pisos y se llamaba "Instituto de la Encarnación" (Cleary Hall). En el primer piso había un auditorio y una iglesia temporal con capacidad para 800 personas. En el segundo piso había 6 aulas. El Padre Cleary llamó a sus viejos amigos, los dominicos de Sinsinawa de la congregación del Santísimo Rosario para abrir la escuela que tenía 160 alumnos. Esto fue el 4 de septiembre de 1911. La Hermana Mary Raymunda, Superiora, la Hermana Mary Antonia, la Hermana Mary Clarice y la Hermana Mary Columkille abrieron la escuela y comenzaron una relación con la gente de la Encarnación que duraría muchos años. Al principio, solo se admitían alumnos de los primeros seis grados, por lo que el primer grupo en graduarse fue la clase de 1914, que tenía 19 estudiantes. Para acomodar a las nuevas hermanas, una casa de madera se convirtió en un convento. Este es el sitio actual de Moynihan Hall.

El padre Cleary y sus dos asistentes, el reverendo George Carroll y el reverendo Waiter Daly también necesitaban una residencia. La construcción de la nueva rectoría se inició en marzo de 1912 y se completó en octubre de ese mismo año, a un costo de $ 20,814.00. La rectoría parroquial se construyó como un edificio de tres pisos que contiene 16 habitaciones grandes y un gran sótano.

La pequeña parroquia comenzó a crecer de inmediato y con su famoso fundador, el Padre Cleary, a la cabeza, no era raro ver anuncios inmobiliarios que decían: "Lotes en venta en la parroquia del Padre Cleary". Una de las primeras celebraciones importantes en la parroquia fue el cuadragésimo primer aniversario del sacerdocio del padre Cleary, el 25 de marzo de 1913. El alcalde de Minneapolis presidió y entre los oradores estuvieron: el gobernador de Minnesota, presidente de la Universidad de Minnesota, y Amigo íntimo del padre Cleary, el arzobispo John Ireland.

En mayo de 1916 tuvo lugar una reunión entre el padre Cleary y muchos de los feligreses para comenzar la planificación de una estructura de iglesia única. Se estableció un comité compuesto por: T.E. Sands, Peter Carter, J.W. Moynihan, J.D. Coleman, J.C. Whelan, J.J. Quinn, Henry Reilly y J.C. Donahue. El comité estableció la meta de recaudar fondos de $ 100,000.00 para construir la nueva instalación.

La construcción comenzó con la ceremonia de inauguración cuando el padre Cleary volcó la primera pala llena de tierra y declaró que el sitio sería la primera iglesia católica en el sur de Minneapolis. La fecha fue el 10 de octubre de 1916. La piedra angular de la iglesia se colocó el 5 de agosto de 1917, bajo la presidencia del arzobispo Ireland. En la piedra estaba inscrito el texto tomado del Evangelio de San Juan: "El Verbo se hizo carne y habitó entre nosotros": En la caja de cobre colocada en la piedra angular había una hoja de vitela en la que estaba escrita la fecha de la ceremonia. y afirmando que tuvo lugar cuando "Woodrow Wilson era presidente, cuando JAA Burnquist era gobernador de Minnesota, cuando John Ireland era arzobispo de St. Paul y cuando el padre James Cleary era pastor de la iglesia. "También se incluyeron copias de los diarios y tres semanarios católicos locales. MJ Murphy fue el jefe de la campaña de fondos que se llevaron a cabo en 1918. El club de hombres recaudó en la reunión inicial aproximadamente 1/4 de los $ 50,000 solicitados en esa sección de la campaña para pagar las deudas de la nueva iglesia. La apertura se pospuso hasta la segunda semana de octubre debido a la muerte del arzobispo de Irlanda. La apertura cívica se celebró en realidad el martes 8 de octubre por la noche. El discurso principal fue pronunciado por el reverendo JM Reardon. Su tema fue Religión y patriotismo ': la apertura cívica siguió a la primera misa en el nueva iglesia por 2 días, que se había celebrado el domingo anterior. La bendición solemne del edificio se aplazó hasta después de la instalación del órgano de tubos. El 3 de octubre de 1920, la iglesia fue dedicada en los servicios dirigidos por Fathe r Cleary, fundador y pastor, el arzobispo Austin Dowling (que sucedió al arzobispo de Irlanda), monseñor George Herr de Dubuque, Iowa, y varios sacerdotes de Twin Cities.

En julio de 1922 el padre Cleary celebró su jubileo de oro y el 4 de mayo de 1924 fue elevado al rango de monseñor en servicios especiales realizados en la iglesia. El arzobispo Dowling ofició la ceremonia de investidura. Este fue el logro supremo para un hombre que había dedicado su vida a Dios y para ayudar a trabajar por el bien y el bienestar del pueblo de Dios.

A partir del año 1909 y extendiéndose hasta 1922 se produjo una gran afluencia de personas a la parroquia. En solo 17 años el número de familias creció de 200 a 1500. Muchos factores contribuyeron a esta expansión sustancial. La parroquia estaba situada en un lugar muy deseable por su proximidad a los lagos y su acceso a las calles principales del lado sur. La popularidad y la reputación del Padre Cleary sin duda desempeñaron un papel muy importante, al igual que la del Arzobispo Ireland. Irlanda, a quien mucha gente durante este período creía que era la figura religiosa más importante de los Estados Unidos, y Monseñor Cleary eran muy cercanos. La amistad entre estos dos irlandeses muy dedicados puede haber sido uno de los factores que contribuyeron al tamaño físico de Incarnation y que Masqueray fue el arquitecto. Sin duda, el papel del arzobispo Ireland en el crecimiento de la población de Encarnación no puede subestimarse. Recomendó a muchas parejas católicas que se mudaran a la parroquia de Monseñor Cleary en el lado sur de Minneapolis.

En 1922, las instalaciones de Incarnation aún no podían mantenerse al día con el creciente número de familias jóvenes que se mudaban a la parroquia. Se intentó una división de la parroquia para aliviar parte de la demanda que había provocado este crecimiento. Una parroquia hija se estableció en 1922: la Iglesia de la Anunciación ubicada en 54th y Lyndale. Pero todavía no había una mejora apreciable del problema. De hecho, a pesar de la disminución del tamaño de la parroquia, la matrícula de la escuela siguió aumentando.

Con el aumento de la inscripción en la escuela, también aumentó el número de hermanas que venían a enseñar. La parroquia compró un terreno baldío de la ciudad en la esquina suroeste de 37th Street y Pleasant Avenue para construir un nuevo convento. Después de ocho meses, en diciembre de 1923, se completó a un costo de $84,412.00. Tenía capacidad para 30 hermanas y ofrecía una capilla, cocina, comedor, sala comunitaria con terraza, cuatro salones pequeños y dos salas de música, así como una amplia zona de césped. En noviembre siguiente se celebró un bazar y lo recaudado se utilizó para sufragar parte de los gastos de amueblamiento del convento.

 

Al año siguiente la escuela seguía congestionada por lo que se abrió una nueva sala en el antiguo convento. En octubre de 1929 se completó una adición a Cleary Hall, aumentando el número de aulas a 16. El 28 de junio de 1928 fue un día muy feliz para todos cuando el Padre Kenneth Kelly de la Orden de Predicadores (y graduado de la escuela Encarnación) celebró su primera misa en la Iglesia de la Encarnación. El 25 de mayo de 1933 moría el querido pastor y fundador de Encarnación, Monseñor James M. Cleary, a la edad de 83 años. Hospitalizado con una fractura de cadera desde el 30 de marzo de ese año, aún se creía que podría celebrar el 61 aniversario de su sacerdocio que habría sido el 9 de julio. Su muerte y funeral ocuparon los titulares de primera plana en el periódico de Minneapolis. Monseñor Humphrey Moynihan declaró en su sermón fúnebre por Monseñor Cleary que "su gloria fue su sencillez de corazón y su convicción de conciencia".

Monseñor Humphrey Moynihan fue nombrado párroco de Encarnación el 1 de julio de 1933. Nació el 22 de octubre de 1864 en Limerick, Irlanda y estableció un brillante historial en las escuelas a las que asistió. Sus marcadas habilidades escolásticas hicieron que sus superiores lo recomendaran al Arzobispo Ireland como un candidato prometedor para la facultad del nuevo Seminario St. Paul. En consecuencia, fue enviado a Roma para continuar sus estudios, donde se desempeñó con distinción. En 1892 fue designado miembro de la facultad del Seminario St. Paul, desempeñando sus deberes como prefecto de estudios tan hábilmente que se le otorgó la presidencia de St. Thomas College en abril de 1903. En esa capacidad aumentó la matrícula de la escuela de unos 253 estudiantes a la cifra récord de 1059 estudiantes, lo que la convierte en una de las mejores escuelas militares del país.

En 1921 se convirtió en rector del Seminario St. Paul y mientras ocupaba este cargo fue elevado a la dignidad de Monseñor en febrero de 1924. Y luego, el 1 de julio de 1933, a la edad de 60 años, Monseñor Humphrey Moynihan se convirtió en párroco de uno de las parroquias más grandes de la diócesis de St. Paul, Encarnación.

En 1934, Encarnation celebró su Jubileo de Plata. El Arzobispo John Gregory Murray pronunció el sermón de la misa mayor, Monseñor Moynihan fue el celebrante y fue asistido por el Reverendo John Ryan, el Reverendo John Phelan, el Reverendo Paul Colbert y el Reverendo Harold Duan. El secretario de la parroquia en ese momento era Peter Carter, quien había ocupado ese cargo desde la fundación de la iglesia. También en 1934, aún con la presión de la depresión, se inició la construcción de una nueva escuela. Estaba ubicado en el sitio del antiguo convento y uniría las cuatro esquinas de 38th y Pleasant como la parroquia de Incarnation. La nueva escuela se completó en febrero de 1935 a un costo de $135,000.00 y se llamó Moynihan Hall. Muchos lo consideraban la instalación educativa más nueva y mejor de la época en la ciudad de Minneapolis. La nueva escuela constaba de 8 aulas, un gimnasio y un nuevo auditorio. Monseñor Moynihan también dotó a la parroquia de una biblioteca que contiene 5.000 volúmenes. También se ubicó un jardín de infantes en una casa cerca del nuevo Moynihan Hall. En un lapso de 26 años, la escuela se había expandido de 6 a 24 aulas con una matrícula de 937 alumnos.

En el otoño de 1942, el Programa Federal de Almuerzos ayudó al programa de almuerzos escolares. Bajo la Works Progress Administration, los empleados del gobierno proporcionaron y sirvieron un almuerzo de siete centavos. Esto significó el inicio de la ayuda directa del gobierno al programa de almuerzo escolar. En 1943, las sirenas aullaron y muchos llegaron corriendo de todos los rincones: ¡Moynihan Hall estaba en llamas! Sin embargo, había mucho humo, pero muy pocos daños. El cableado defectuoso en el techo resultó ser la causa.

El 24 de diciembre de 1943, Monseñor Humphrey Moynihan, párroco de Encarnación durante 10 años, falleció a la edad de 79 años. Había influido en la parroquia de dos maneras: con el ejemplo de su propia vida y con el ministerio de sus asistentes. que había sido formado bajo su régimen en el seminario. La dignidad, la santidad, la bondad y el amor de Dios que tanto marcaron su propia vida se comunicaron inevitablemente a quienes estaban a su cargo y soldaron la gente de su parroquia en una congregación sobresaliente por su apoyo a muchas causas nobles. El padre James Moynihan fue designado para suceder a su hermano y asumió sus nuevas funciones el 29 de diciembre de 1943.

El Padre James Moynihan nació en Abbeyville, Limerick, Irlanda en 1882. Recibió su primera educación en Rockwell College, Tipperary, y en St. Munchins College, Limerick. Al llegar a los Estados Unidos a la edad de 16 años, continuó su educación en el Seminario St. Paul, estudiando filosofía. Luego fue enviado al Colegio Americano en Roma. Al completar el curso de teología, fue ordenado en Roma en 1907. Regresó a St. Paul y fue asignado a la facultad de St. Thomas College. En 1933 asumió la presidencia de la Institución donde se desempeñó hasta su nombramiento a Encarnación.

En 1948 se cambiaron los límites de la parroquia. Dos nuevas parroquias limitan con Encarnación: Visitación al suroeste y Santa Juana de Arco al sureste. Esta nueva división fue para ayudar a aliviar el problema de inscripción nuevamente, pero la escuela aún albergaba a 984 en el otoño de 1948. El 19 de junio de 1951, el padre James Moynihan fue elevado al rango de monseñor. El arzobispo Murray ofició y se llevó a cabo una recepción en el auditorio de la escuela. Inscripción para ese año fue hasta 1005.

 

El 12 de febrero de 1959, monseñor James Moynihan, que padecía una dolencia cardíaca, murió a la edad de 76 años. El arzobispo William O. Brady celebró la misa de réquiem. Uno de los mayores logros de Monseñor Moynihan en Encarnación fue la finalización de una biografía del arzobispo John Ireland que comenzó Humphrey Moynihan muchos años antes. El 2 de marzo de 1949, el Padre Donald Gormley asumió sus funciones en Incarnation. Monseñor Gormley nació en Minneapolis el 15 de agosto de 1895 y estudió en St. Thomas College y St. Paul Seminary. Fue ordenado en 1924 por el arzobispo Dowling. Pasó casi 35 años en St. Thomas Academy and College. Fue director de la academia durante un tiempo y registrador del colegio cuando fue designado para Encarnación.

1959 fue un año importante en la historia de la Encarnación. No solo había un nuevo pastor, sino que también era el año del jubileo de oro. El punto culminante del año jubilar fue la consagración de la Iglesia de la Encarnación el 19 de octubre de 1959. La ceremonia de 4 horas fue realizada por el Arzobispo William O. Brady.

Una iglesia católica se considera apropiada para la consagración cuando está esencialmente completa y libre de deudas; está construido con materiales sustanciales y monumentales y cuando es seguro que el edificio nunca tendrá un uso secular. En 1959, la única otra iglesia católica en Minneapolis que fue consagrada fue la Basílica de Santa María. Selladas en el altar de la iglesia de la Encarnación durante la ceremonia estaban las reliquias de 2 mártires: San Clemente, quien fue Papa del 88 al 97 y San Adrián, quien fue martirizado alrededor del 303.

El órgano actual también se instaló en 1959. El órgano fue construido por Wicks Organ Co. de Highland, Illinois, diseñado por el padre Kuncl de St. Paul e instalado por Alfred Bender, un representante local de Wicks. El órgano está instalado detrás de la fachada del órgano original, que fue reconstruido e instalado en otra iglesia de la zona. El diseño del órgano es "a medio camino" entre los estilos clásico y romántico, muy típico de los órganos instalados en las iglesias católicas de la época, cuando había comparativamente poco canto congregacional. El órgano tiene 4 divisiones: grande, oleaje, coro y pedal. Hay 29 rangos, o conjuntos de tuberías, controlados por una consola de tres mandos manuales y de pedal. La acción es eléctrica directa, un sistema iniciado por Wicks Co.

 

El padre Donald Gormley fue elevado a monseñor el 16 de febrero de 1960. Su preocupación, como la de sus predecesores, era el desequilibrio entre la creciente población estudiantil y la disminución del espacio disponible en los edificios escolares. A través de estudios de las instalaciones escolares actuales y proyecciones de cuál podría ser la inscripción futura, se decidió con mucho debate que se necesitaba una instalación escolar adicional. La nueva adición se ubicaría junto a Moynihan Hall y, aunque de diseño contemporáneo, complementaría el edificio anterior. También se decidió que el edificio estaría sostenido por columnas tipo pilotes, proporcionando así un área de juegos y un estacionamiento durante todo el año, así como un área cubierta para actividades parroquiales como el Oktoberfest. La construcción comenzó a fines de 1961 y se prolongó hasta el invierno de 1963. La nueva instalación proporcionó 9 salones de clase adicionales. Cada habitación tenía paredes de azulejos, un armario de equipos, pizarras al frente y a los lados. Había un fregadero y una fuente para beber en la parte trasera de cada habitación. Además, el edificio albergaba un moderno laboratorio de ciencias, una biblioteca equipada y oficinas generales. Durante las sesiones de planificación se propuso que si la población estudiantil disminuyera en el futuro, Moynihan Hall, incluida la ampliación, podría convertirse fácilmente en una escuela secundaria con capacidad para 500 estudiantes. Para financiar la nueva ampliación se inició un llamamiento, se estableció una recaudación mínima semanal de $6,151.00 y se cumplió la meta de $300,000.00 en un año.

La década de 1960 fue un período de auge para la escuela de Incarnation. La inscripción durante este período estaría consistentemente por encima de la marca de 1,000. 1961 marcó el Jubileo de Oro de las Hermanas Dominicas. De las cuatro hermanas originales en 1911, el convento había crecido hasta albergar ahora 23. Monseñor Gormley se jubiló de Incarnation en el año 1970. El nuevo liderazgo de la parroquia tendría que adaptarse ahora a una disminución en la membresía y disminuciones constantes en la inscripción del colegio. Varios factores que contribuyeron a esto fueron el crecimiento de los suburbios que estaban atrayendo a muchas familias jóvenes de lo que ahora se consideraba una parroquia del centro de la ciudad, el tamaño promedio de las familias se redujo casi a la mitad y se abrieron nuevas escuelas primarias en las parroquias circundantes. . Pero la gente de Encarnación no se desanimó. Al igual que los líderes anteriores de su parroquia, ellos también creían que la educación en una escuela católica era invaluable.

El padre Frederich Mertz se hizo cargo de la administración de la parroquia entre 1970 y 1975 y el padre Stephen Adrian comenzó en 1975. El padre Adrian había sido uno de los primeros sacerdotes católicos romanos en postularse para un cargo político estatal en la historia de Minnesota. Su posición contra el aborto legalizado personificó de muchas maneras los sentimientos de la gente de la comunidad de Encarnación y su voluntad de tomar una posición contra los problemas que sentían social y moralmente. injusto.

En 1978, el Padre Robert Monaghan se convirtió en párroco de Encarnación. El Padre Monaghan nació y se crió en Omaha, Nebraska y anteriormente fue párroco de la Parroquia del Sagrado Corazón en St. Paul. El Padre Monaghan aportó a Encarnación no solo un liderazgo espiritual muy necesario como lo hicieron sus predecesores, sino también una sólida formación en administración. Esto demostraría ser invaluable en los difíciles tiempos económicos que marcaron finales de los 70 y principios de los 80.

 

 

Muchos personas hacen una comunidad

 

La historia de la Encarnación ha sido bendecida con un tremendo liderazgo desde el Padre Cleary hasta nuestro párroco actual, el Padre Monaghan. Pero han sido las personas individuales y las organizaciones que han servido a Incarnation las que han hecho y seguirán haciendo de ella una parroquia vibrante. En octubre de 1909, un grupo de mujeres se reunió en el Salón Masónico de la Primera Avenida para formar un club. El propósito del club era ayudar al Padre Cleary y el nombre del grupo era Obreros Voluntarios. El primer presidente fue la Sra. J. M. McLaughlin. Cuando los Obreros Voluntarios se organizaron por primera vez, se estaba construyendo el Instituto de la Encarnación y poco después se comenzó a trabajar en la iglesia y la rectoría. Para ayudar a pagar la deuda, muchas de las primeras actividades del club fueron recaudaciones de fondos. Publicaron "The Tried and True Cookbook", que fue un gran éxito financiero. Una vez al año, los hombres y las mujeres organizaban un bazar. Los ingresos de todas estas empresas se aplicaron a la deuda y también a las necesidades de la escuela. Después de 10 años exitosos, la organización se disolvió. Algún tiempo después, la Sra. B. W. Japs sugirió que se formara un nuevo club y se organizó el Club de Madres de la Encarnación. Su objetivo principal era satisfacer las crecientes necesidades de la escuela. Ayudar a equipar las aulas del colegio y abastecer la cocina fueron varios de los proyectos iniciales. En 1929, el nombre del club se cambió a Club de Mujeres de la Encarnación, para incluir a más mujeres de la parroquia. Los dos objetivos principales eran promover el bienestar de la escuela y, en todos los aspectos posibles, cooperar con el párroco y las hermanas en el desarrollo de los mejores intereses de los niños de la parroquia. Y en segundo lugar, fortalecer los lazos de amistad y cristiandad entre los miembros de la organización, en particular aquellos que no tienen obligaciones de interés en la escuela. Los maestros, alumnos y personas de Encarnación tienen una deuda de gratitud con el Club de Mujeres de Encarnación por los muchos años de servicio, generosidad y amor que han brindado a la Comunidad de Encarnación.

El 10 de octubre de 1909, el Padre Cleary celebró una reunión de los hombres de la parroquia para discutir la futura expansión de la comunidad de Encarnación. Esta fue la primera reunión del Club de Hombres de la Encarnación. El 17 de octubre de 1909 D. W. Woolsey fue elegido presidente del club. El padre Cleary desarrolló una fuerte asociación con el Men's Club y alentó su crecimiento en la comunidad. A lo largo de los años, fue su mejor reclutador, ya que inculcó a todos los jóvenes que se mudaban a la parroquia la importancia de ello. El Padre Cleary recurrió al Club de Hombres para gran parte de la recaudación de fondos para la construcción de los primeros edificios. Varios de sus esfuerzos de recaudación de fondos tomaron la forma de campañas de donación, despedidas de soltero, fiestas de cartas y el bazar anual que coordinaron con el Club de Mujeres. Los hombres se enorgullecían mucho del hecho de que los primeros edificios que se construyeron estaban principalmente libres de deudas en un período muy corto desde el momento de su finalización. A lo largo de los años han seguido desempeñando un papel importante en el mantenimiento de los edificios. Gran parte de sus recaudaciones de fondos se han destinado a la escuela y actualmente están activos en la administración del atletismo de los niños de Incarnation.

 

Muchas veces en una familia de la parroquia, el hombre de la casa participaba activamente en el Club de Hombres mientras que la mujer de la casa participaba en el Club de Mujeres. Estas dos organizaciones deben ser elogiadas por su longevidad de servicio a todos nosotros en Incarnation. Muchas otras organizaciones comunitarias desempeñaron un papel importante en el crecimiento y desarrollo de la parroquia de Encarnación. Ellos fueron: La Cofradía de la Santísima Virgen María iniciada en 1910, La Sociedad del Altar también iniciada en 1919, Las tropas de Boy and Girl Scouts iniciadas en 1926, La Sociedad del Santo Nombre iniciada en 1920, Fratamor, Legión de María, Solteros Unidos, Parejas de Cana, Viudas y viudos, Club de estudio y Las madres cantoras. En 1964 se realizó el primer Oktoberfest; anteriormente, el principal evento social para recaudar fondos era la fiesta de San Nicolás. El Oktoberfest ha jugado un papel importante en la vida de todas las personas de la Encarnación, ya sea como organizadores del evento de fin de semana o simplemente como participantes que disfrutan de las festividades. El Oktoberfest es una oportunidad para renovar viejos conocidos, pasar un buen rato y recaudar fondos muy necesarios para nuestra parroquia.

 

Una estructura organizada para la red de comités y clubes de Encarnación ha evolucionado en los últimos veinte años. Con el párroco a la cabeza y el Consejo Parroquial directamente debajo del párroco, los siguientes comités son directamente responsables ante el Consejo Parroquial: Finanzas/Presupuesto, Liturgia, Asuntos Sociales, Mantenimiento, Educación Religiosa/Enriquecimiento de Adultos, Planificación a Largo Plazo y Ministerio Compartido . Las organizaciones que son directamente responsables ante el párroco son: el Club de Hombres, el Club de Mujeres, la Junta Escolar, la Asociación de Hogar y Escuela y el Comité de Oktoberfest.

 

Muchas cosas han cambiado en la Comunidad de la Encarnación a lo largo de los años. Cleary Hall ahora se está alquilando a una escuela Montessori y el convento se está alquilando como la Casa de la Encarnación. Pero los cambios han sido parte de la comunidad durante muchos años. El cambio es bueno; permite el crecimiento y desarrollo de la comunidad. La Parroquia Encarnación es un pueblo unido por una fe común. A través de la obra del espíritu en medio de nosotros, nos esforzamos por hacer que la respuesta a esta fe sea cada vez más verdadera y evidente.

 

La Iglesia de la Encarnación ya no es una "Catedral de los Maizales". Sin embargo, todavía se eleva por encima de la ciudad cambiante, como un recordatorio de la reconciliación y redención de la humanidad. En el momento de la Encarnación, el Señor inició su camino hacia su muerte y resurrección, abriendo de par en par las puertas del cielo y acogiendo a todos hacia sí. La Iglesia de la Encarnación tiene un patrimonio y una tradición de hospitalidad. Durante este año del Jubileo de Diamante, como todos los años, todos los pueblos son bienvenidos.

Presentado respetuosamente al pueblo de la Comunidad de la Encarnación, Mateo J. Rieger